Pregnancy Massage can be enormous benefit to mother and unborn baby. Studies indicate that massage therapy performed during pregnancy can reduce anxiety, decrease symptoms of depression, relieve muscle aches and joint pains, and improve labour outcomes and newborn health.
Receiving regular massage whilst pregnant can help mothers become more aware of there bodies in the first stages of labour, this can help with the ability to relax. It can lead to increased breast feeding success due to the increased prolactin and mammary development.
Some of the conditions we are able to work on or at least help in some way:
- Oedema of the ankles and feet, hands and arms
- Morning Sickness and general nausea
- Breathing difficulties
- Lower Back Pain
- Leg Cramps
Summary of benefits of massage in pregnancy:
- Stimulation of the circulation - this will distribute essential nutrients and fluids to all the vital organs of the body and placenta.
- Lymphatic Drainage - will eliminate toxins and reduce oedema.
- Sluggish bowel movement - is aided, helping to avoid constipation and haemorrhoids
- Releases Muscular Tension - of the upper back, shoulders, lower back and hips. May help Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)
- Massaging the intercostals and pectoral muscles - which can help to aid breathing.
- Helps to avoid Varicose Veins developing.
- Induces deep relaxation - Helps sleep (Studies have shown that women who sleep well during the latter stages of pregnancy have shorter labours)
- Helps to lower - High blood pressure, stress, anxiety and creates a sense of well-being.
- Massage - Mother and unborn babies relationship can be enhanced.